Monday, March 23, 2015

Review: The Strange Case of Finley Jayne


The Strange Case of Finley Jayne
The Strange Case of Finley Jayne by Kady Cross

My rating: 2.5 of 5 stars



I don't normally read novellas. I don't think I've read more than five of them, but I decided to try this one because it was said it is better than the series. And it was true.

This less than a hundred pages novella was much more fun than the series. In first place, Finley is better developed... in less than a hundred pages. In the series, she's boring, while in this book, she's more kick-ass, which is what I wanted from the series.

In second place, this is much more fast-paced. Yes, I know, it's a novella. It had to go right to the point, but in the series nothing happened. It was completely boring, while this one was very funny. Really enjoyable, actually.

But even when I enjoyed this book, I cannot rate it more than 2.5 stars. It's not bad, it's that I had many issues with it, and those things always ruin my experience while reading. You see, there are very few books I consider utterly perfect. I've rated some books five stars, but I have complaints (even if they're small) for most of them.

Let's start with the bad things, then...

· The references to classic books aka references to Frankenstein. Really, Ms. Cross, you could have gone to Wikipedia to get the right summary for that book.

· It felt silly at some points. Like, some unnecessary things happened and they felt laughable.

Those are my two major complaints. They are not so big, but they bothered me a lot, especially the first one. Still, I enjoyed this book. It was a lot of fun. This one I recommend. The series I don't.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment