Monday, March 09, 2015

Review: Cracked



Cracked by Eliza Crewe

My rating: 5 of 5 stars



I didn't even know about the existence of this book until a few weeks ago, when someone started to fangirl over it and I got excited. There are few YA books I genuinely like, so when 5 star reviews about this book started to appear all over my feed, I knew that was the moment for me to pick up Cracked.

So, what is my general opinion on this book?


Yes, that's it: Awesome. And now, I'll tell you more about it...

Meda eats people. No really, she does. She eats bad people's soul. The souls she eats are to her what water is to you and I, so she can't really avoid it... but she doesn't mind. In fact, she enjoys it. Her life has been full with secrets and she's never felt the necessity to know the answer to all her questions. That is, until three hissing men show up where she is and they're suddenly interested in her.


That was Meda talking to you. I absolutely loved her. Meda was the perfect protagonist. All authors should follow Eliza Crewe's example in creating heroines like Meda. She's a kick-ass, funny, sarcastic, selfish and ghoulish sociopath. She's not whiny and is not drooling over the first hot boy that talks to her. In fact, when that boy appears, she can just think how foolish he is. She admits he's attractive, but he's not a love interest. She loves blood and she's not a stupid altruistic MC. And she can't help but love to be a bad girl.

What else can I say to show you that I want to marry her?

The other characters were also lovable. There's Chi (short for Malachi), who has a peanut-sized brain, but is suicidal and heroic; Jo, who is kind of a misanthrope but it's really intelligent; and Uri, who's a cute but brave 13-year-old boy. They were not perfect teenagers, and that's precisely what made them even more likeable.

To tell you the truth, the plot in this book didn't sound very appealing to me. I think I have said that I'm not a fan of fantasy books. I prefer reading realistic things, or if they are fantasy, I like them with a lot of scientific explanations (don't blame me). So, when I found out that this book had angels and demons, I was like:


But I'm glad I ignored that fact.

Another thing that I really enjoyed is that this book is anti-cliche. It's like Crewe knew exactly what I don't like in books and she took them out. Everytime something was happening and I mentally said “Oh God, I know how this is going to end,” what happened was actually something that hadn't even occured to me. Props for that, Crewe.

Anyway, I really recommend this book. If you don't read it, I'm going to call Meda and tell her to eat your soul. She's not gonna flinch and she's going to enjoy it.

And now, off to read the second one!




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment