Friday, September 26, 2014

Review: Obsidian


Obsidian
Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout

My rating: 1 of 5 stars



Aliens are not my thing, I just don't get entertained by books about aliens. Of course there are some exceptions, such as The 5th Wave, but this is not one of those exceptions, and don't get me wrong, it is neither a book I hated nor found boring.

The plot was not original, I have to say it. It is similar to many books I've read, just they change the "normal people" (for example, Hush, Hush) into aliens called "Luxen" (or something like that, I read this last year and I don't remember a thing). There is indeed some kind of insta-love, or not necessarily "insta-love" but "insta-attraction" and "insta-obsession" from the part of Katy.

Talking about her brings me to my next point: The characters.

1) Daemon. Usually, I break up with paradigms. I understand that the majority of the people who read Obsidian love Daemon, but I just simply couldn't fall in love with him. Yes, I know he is sexy and arrogant and mysterious, and that is something most of people really like, but I'm not like most people. sometimes, there were points in which he exasperated me to the point I wanted to slap him in the face so he would shut up...and well, I guess you can disagree with me all you like, but I'll never love him.

2) Katy. She is funny and I like her, but she is not a "kickass heroine", as people out there say. She is just like a normal girl you can find at a normal high-school, nothing particular or special with her, except perhaps that she has some kind of alien DNA that Daemon transferred to her when he heals her (you will have to excuse me, for I remember barely a thing about this book). Something I loved about her? She is a book-lover!

Well, those two are the characters I remember the most. If I wanted to review the other ones, I would have to re-read the book, and I don't want to.

An issue I had with the book is that it concentrates too much in the romance part, but really? What could I expect from a "paranormal romance", as they say?

Anyway, Obsidian is a fun and entertaining book... for a thirteen-year-old girl. I won't say the series improves over the books, because they all felt the same for me.

Finally, I don't particularly recommend it, unless you are a fan of paranormal romance, but read it if you're looking for a fast and easy read.




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment