Thursday, September 25, 2014

Review: The Book Thief


The Book Thief
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

My rating: 5 of 5 stars



So, The Book Thief...




Hmm, I guess those pictures sum up the book, but I'll write a review anyway...

I cannot think about this book without bringing tears to my eyes (well, maybe not tears, but I get sad). I can't express my feelings about it, it is just so difficult.

To start, I have to point out that I really envy Markus Zusak, his writing, I mean. You see, he manages to write a complex story set in Germany during WWII. I can't even write a good essay and he writes this magnificent piece of art. Really, it's just unfair (you might have noticed my jealousy).

Everything was good for me. The characters, the writing, the story building, even the narrator.

Liesel was one of my favorites, I start with her because she's the protagonist, but I also love Rudy, Hans, Death and the others. She's just like a normal girl, who loves books (yay! :D). I love her relationship with Max. They form a really strong bond, it was very cute.

I don't want to talk about Rudy or Hans, but I leave it very clear: I loved them, just like anything else in the book.

Max...oh, Max *sigh*...see? I cannot put into words how much I loved this book. I don't find any words to describe Max. Mr. Zusak, can you lend me your ability to write for a minute or two?

I knew right from the beginning that it was going to be a soul-destroyer, heart-breaking, depressing yet wonderful book. I mean, did they all have to die? And the fact that Liesel was saved because she was writing --because of her love for words-- didn't make it any less saddening, in fact, it made it worse.

Death was also lovable. How could I not love him? I even pitied him.

“It kills me sometimes, how people die”
― Markus Zusak, The Book Thief

“My heart is so tired”
― Markus Zusak, The Book Thief


See? This is his everyday life. I could not survive it.

He was an amazing narrator: How he describes the things that happen, his feelings, everything (and he tells you what is going to happen at the end halfway through the book).

Anyway, does all that I've already written say all my feeling about this book? No. Take this as a list of everything I have left to say, but I cannot because I'm really bad at writing (whether it be reviews, essays, etc.):


So, to end with this, read it. I'm not going to assure you will love it because there are people who hate it and find it boring. But I have to warn you: It is a little slow at the beginning, that might e why some people dislike it. As for myself, I did not find a problem with it being slow. Anyway, this book is perfect. I will undoubtedly read more of Zusak's works after this, since I've read they are also good.

100% recommended.

“I have hated words and I have loved them, and I hope I have made them right.”
― Markus Zusak, The Book Thief


P.S.: I also loved the movie. The cast and the adaptation to the book was good, although some parts were missing, but for the first time in my life, I don't complain about it. The music was amazing, too.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment