Wednesday, May 27, 2015

The 2015 Shakespeare Challenge



This year, I decided to start what I call the "Shakespeare Challenge". Basically - and how its name says -, I'm going to read all of Shakespeare's works and try to review all of them. Neither of those objectives is easy, though the first one gets easier the further I get in the challenge - I mean, because I got used to his language and writing.

The second task is even harder because his works have been studied for such a long time that I have almost nothing to say. Thus, my reviews are not going to be analysis on his works - they will merely my opinion on them. I will review Shakespeare's works the same way I do with all books.

Why did I decide to do this?


Everyone knows Shakespeare, and also, many books I love contain references to his works. This latter point was crucial. Why? Because it's one thing to read a quote from book A in book A, and it's another to read a quote from book A in book B. I don't know if I'm making sense, but reading a book in its original glory and then reading another book in which book A is referenced feels GLORIOUS - like, it's one of the best feels in the world.

How far am I at this point?


This is the list of Shakespeare's works I've read so far:


Maybe it's not clear in the picture, but I've read 60% of his works. I started with the most popular ones and now I'm reading the ones not everyone has heard of. I've read all the poems and sonnets - I still have to finish with the plays.

Am I going to continue?


Why, yes, of course! I'm not lying to you when I say that I turned into a fangirl after I read Hamlet. I had read The Merchant of Venice at school, but if I'm honest with you, I didn't appreciate it back then (mainly because I was forced to read it); so I decided to start from the beginnig with Hamlet, and guess what? I loved it!

After that, I fell in love with Shakespeare's writing style an I just kept on reading them for pure pleasure. His language gave me many prosegasms.

(Er, did I really say that?)

Where am I posting my reviews?


I will post them on this blog. They ones I wrote before this are on Goodreads, and I will try to bring them here soon, but the ones to follow are going to be here as well as in Goodreads and Leafmarks.

................................

Whew, I still have lots of plays to go. I'm 60% done with the challenge, but with college and everything, I barely have time to read, so I'm a bit afraid I'm not going to be able to finish my challenge. I hope I do, though, because when I'm finally done, I will be really proud and happy.

What are your challenges?

2 comments:

  1. Are you going to follow up with some Shakespeare retelling? Or some stories based on the "after" of any of the stories?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think so. I want to read just Shakespeare's works. If one of those interests me, I might try it, but in the meanwhile, I will stick to this.

      Delete