Friday, May 01, 2015

Review: Interstellar



Interstellar by Greg Keyes


My rating:




So, let's put things clear from now: If you haven't watched the movie, go do it before you read the book. I mean it.

That said, I'll proceed to review this thing the same way I review all books...

Earth is dying and there's no hope for it. There are only two possibilities of saving the human race: a) Send a group of astronauts to look for a new home, or b) send that same group of astronauts with lots of frozen human embryos that would be humanity's only hope. Between that group is Cooper, a farmer who once was a great astronaut... but he saving humanity means he will probably never get to see his children again, and with that, he leaves a broken Murph (his 10-year-old daughter) behind too.


I got all the feels while reading this. Same as with happened with the movie. Seeing all the characters struggling with their choices and what they were going through was really sad. The messages Tom (Cooper's other son) left (and that he heard after the failed Miller's mission) were particularly heart-breaking.

Character development is also great. You get to understand Cooper more. He can sometimes make you laugh, other times he makes you want to punch him, at others he will warm your heart, but mostly, he will make you feel sad, lonely and afraid. I was afraid for him during the entire book. I knew the story, yet I got to feel a lot while reading it.

Murph was another amazing character. She grows during the book and you can feel the differences between her 10-year-old self and her thirty-something self. Both are incredibly intelligent, but the latter one misses the innocence and faith the younger one had.


The story follows the same it did with the movie, but I understand things better now. The relativity things are better explained, for instance. And of course, the parts that make you think are inside the characters' heads, and that you can only get by reading the book.

And now, I'm going to admit one of my greatest fears: Space. Yep, I'm afraid of that. I admire astronauts for their courage in leaving Earth. I honestly could not. I'd rather die here than live out there. This movie scared the hell out of me in that sense (and I experienced the same while watching Gravity). The wormhole scared me, the size of the universe scares me, relativity scares me, time scares me, the black hole scared me... Basically, I couldn't be a physicist (I stuck with chemistry).

In the end, even when this book was great, I have to admit the movie was better. Maybe that's because I watched the movie first, and this book is in fact based upon the movie, but I liked the movie better. While you can experience all the feels better by reading the book, you cannot replace those amazing effects and music.


...

Pre-reading:

Yesterday, my father, my brother and I watched this movie at home and we all three have something to say: It blew our brains and it made our feels explode.

I don't know whether I'll read this book or not, but one thing is for sure: I frigging loved the movie. Like, really, really loved it. The movie is, by far, one of the best I've seen in a lot of time.

It made my feels go crazy, it blew my mind, it was so realistic... In summary, it was brilliant. The cast was great, the effects were amazing, the music (by the Zimmer King) was astounding. The director, Christopher Nolan (the one of the amazing Batman trilogy), did an amazing job. I tell you, this one was an epic movie.

Space things have always caught my attention, but I've also been terribly afraid of them. And this movie made all that feels go to heaven because of how realistic it was.

If you haven't watched that movie, go and do it now. If you have, tell me so we can talk about it. I know this is not a review about the book, but I needed to say all that.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment