Sunday, April 19, 2015

Review: The Deal



The Deal by Elle Kennedy

My rating: 1 of 5 stars



DNF at 30%

I should have left this book in my thank-you-but-no-thank-you shelf. First because I was not interested in it, and second because I had a bad feeling. Maybe the book gets better, but I just simply cannot read it.

I'm gonna tell you what made me leave it:

In the five years since the rape, my heart has pounded for only two guys.


The rape... Okay, I know that's a serious thing that happens a lot, but I don't like it when authors use rape as a plot device. They can use it sometimes, but this doesn't seem necessary to the plot - read the synopsis to know what I mean.

Perhaps this is not a bad book, but I'm not curious anymore. The parts I read were funny and easy to read. I could've enjoyed it, but that rape things annoyed me a little.

Another thing that happened in those pages that I found exasperating:

Despite what a lot of folks believe, I’m not a dumb jock. But hey, I don’t mind letting people think I am. Women, in particular. I guess they’re turned on by the idea of screwing the big brawny caveman who’s only good for one thing


Why is he so sure all women drool over him? I know that's just his personality, but dude, you're basically saying that whenever a woman sees a pretty face and some abs, they're gonna go crazy. Not everyone is like that.

And then, a little before he says that, he makes a joke that involves his recently-dead teacher.

For fifteen years, Timothy Lane handed out A’s like mints. The year I take the class? Lane’s ticker quits ticking, and I get stuck with Pamela Tolbert.


Ha, ha, ha. I find that disrespectful, not funny. Sorry if you don't think like me.

And now, if you're a guy and you're reading this, tell me this is not true:

I waste no time striding toward her. Because... again... I’m a guy.


So, in other words, no man can resist a lady. If she has a good body, then he has to screw her.

And not only is he an arrogant prick, but he's also a stalker. Like, she didn't give him her phone number, yet, he gets it. At least he didn't track her and he's honest with her when she asks him where he got it.

I did like Hannah, though. Even when she was raped, she handled things well.

And the most important lesson I learned is that I’m not a victim—I’m a survivor.


Both the voices in which the book is narrated - Hannah and Garrett - are different, and funny in some way. That's a pro for the book. Still, it couldn't make up for the things I didn't like.

If I wanted to really enjoy this, I should not have taken it seriously, but I cannot avoid that. I know this is what some people call "mindless fluff", but... Sigh, I guess you know what I mean. I take books too seriously, and I'm not ashamed of that.

Well, I guess this book managed to come up with both things I liked and things I hated. The negative things (as per usual) surpassed the positive aspects, and I ended up DNF-ing this.

So you see, this is the reason why I barely read NA.

Sorry for the people who liked this. And Aly, I really wanted to like this, but it wasn't for me. Forgive me. The next time it may go better.

...

Vanessa presents you the new book in her thank-you-but-no-thank-you shelf! Drums please... It's The Deal! And here's a part of the synopsis:

Hannah Wells has finally found someone who turns her on. But while she might be confident in every other area of her life, she’s carting around a full set of baggage when it comes to sex and seduction. If she wants to get her crush’s attention, she’ll have to step out of her comfort zone and make him take notice…even if it means tutoring the annoying, childish, cocky captain of the hockey team in exchange for a pretend date.


And here's her reaction:



EDIT (March 7th, 2015): This is still what I feel towards this book, but--damn it--too many people I follow are reading (and loving) this book. I might as well like it (although a part of me doubts it), who knows?



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment