Thursday, April 09, 2015

Review: City of Heavenly Fire


City of Heavenly Fire
City of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra Clare

My rating: 1 of 5 stars



Dear people who love this book,

You are welcome to disagree with me. Everyone is welcome to disagree with everyone, but please, show some respect. Show me humanity has still hope and that not everyone is a troll.

Sincerely,

Vane.

...

I needed to say that, since the last review about a book I hated and is so, so, so damn loved (See: Captive In the Dark and my review for it) attracted trolls. Trolls that insulted me saying I was "childish" and "narrow-minded" because I hated that book. Well, to hell with them. I came to review City of Heavenly Fire, not to complain.

I kept reading this series just because I hate to leave series unfinished, but after the fourth book, it didn't deserve my time any more.

First of all, I'm going to thank God this series is over. I was tired of it. I just wish Ms Clare acknowledges that three series about Shadowhunters is far too much. I know they are popular and everyone except me loves them, but... It. Is. Enough. I don't want to ever hear about Shadowhunters after TDA gets published.

And the worst part of all? She doesn't keep writing them because she loves to write about them (in other words, not for art's sake), she writes them because she knows people love them and will keep buying them. She continues writing about them because we are fattening her wallet.

Besides of all I've said before, the ending was disappointing. It was all arranged to be a happily-ever-after. If you have been a follower of my reviews, you should already know that I am not a big fan of Disney-like endings, specially if they are all made up at the ending just to fit the majority's desire.


Everything could have been better if not for the last fifty pages or so. Those freaking last pages ruined it all. But really, I hated it since I started it. You see, this series is simply not for me. I've rated all the books in the series 1 star, and I regret nothing.

Want an example of a predictable book? This one is perfect for that. You can guess what is going to happen at the end right from the beginning of the book. Predictable books are so boring. I'm surprised I had the will to finish this, being so atrocious and all. Ah, but well, I hate DNF-ing books. 


This is the sequence of the things in those pages:


1) The bad guy gets defeated.

2) Simon stops being a vampire, but forgets every memory he has about his friends.

3) They all go to the mundane world again and live happy for the rest of their lives.

4) Oh, wait, I forgot, Simon has no memory about them, so this is sad *hypocritical sadface* ... But here comes Magnus and Isabelle and save the day by bringing Simon's memories back to him! Yay!


5) Now, here is really where they can live happy for the rest of their lives.

I'm probably not going to read The Dark Artifices. I know it's going to get very popular when it gets published (damn it if it's not popular right now, even when there are many months left for its publishment) and it will get glowing reviews, but still, it's too much.. Hopefully it's the last Shadowhunters series she's ever gonna write good.

Bah! Who am I kidding? She's gonna write more and more books about the same characters over and over again. She's never going to stop. It's like a circle: One ends, she starts another, that one leads to the plot in another one, and so on.

Ah, well, this is the goodbye.





View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment